I encountered this problem again today. This time I kept careful track of what was happening.
The problem started when I went into Windows Update and saw there was a new optional update for my USB sound device (headset & microphone). I let Windows download the update.
As soon as this was done, the problem (the microphone not working) occurred.
As part of the troubleshooting steps, I went into the "Sound" control panel and disabled, then re-enabled the microphone. I tried several variations:
- Closing eyeBeam, disabling the mic, opening eyeBeam, letting it detect new devices, closing eyeBeam, enabling the mic, opening eyeBeam, letting it go back to the previous configuration
- Disabling the microphone while eyeBeam was open, closing eyeBeam, re-opening eyebeam, enabling the microphone
- Disabling the microphone while eyeBeam was open, closing eyeBeam, opening eyeBeam, enabling the microphone
- Disabling and re-enabling the microphone while eyeBeam was open
During this, eyeBeam crashed twice (the "eyeBeam - Fatal Error" message). When it gave me the option to send the crash data to CounterPath (a file like eyeBeam_1.5.52344_elysion_71488234.dmp), I clicked to send the file, but the dialog box didn't close, even if I waited a few minutes. Eventually I had to go into the Task Manager and kill the eyeBeam.exe process to continue.
Based on my previous post here, I even tried rebooting to see if that somehow would help (it didn't).
Eventually I hit upon this:
- Open eyeBeam (microphone not working)
- Open the "Sound" control panel and go to "Recording" tab
- Open up the properties of my USB microphone
- Change the "Device Usage" from "Use this Device (enable)" to "Don't use this device (disabled)".
- Click "Apply."
- Change the "Device Usage" back to "Use this Device (enable)."
- Click "Apply."
- WITHOUT CLOSING THE MICROPHONE PROPERTIES DIALOG, switch back to eyeBeam.
- Do a test call - the microphone now works!
- Close the properties dialog and close the "Sound" control panel.
- Do a test call - the microphone doesn't work anymore. (!!!)
So at the moment, the only way I can use the microphone with eyeBeam is to go into the properties of the microphone, disable it, apply the changes, then enable it, apply the changes, and leave the dialog box open
because as soon as I close it, the microphone stops working.
I'm absolutely stumped, but I hope that this information will somehow help someone to get to the bottom of this problem. Perhaps there's some hint in the steps I described that might shed some light on this problem for someone intimately familiar with the inner workings of eyeBeam.
I will be continuing to try and work out a solution myself (since I need to use my phone), but honestly I'm a little tired of this and would appreciate any help I can get.